Thursday, 3 April 2014

Mascara Reviews: L'Oreal Manga vs. Rimmel Day 2 Night




A few weeks back, I went on a bit of a splurge in Boots and picked up 2 new (for me) mascaras to try out. After a couple of weeks of use, I finally decided to do reviews on them. The 2 mascara's I purchased were Rimmel's Day 2 Night and the new L'Oreal Manga Mascara. As a fan of both brands, I was really excited to try out these products.

Firstly, the L'Oreal Manga Mascara: I kept seeing adverts for this and it intrigued me so I decided to give it a go. The brush of this mascara is flexible so when you apply it, it bends slightly ensuring full volume to your lashes. I love the branding of this mascara as it's Japanese influenced with the focus being on big and bold Manga style eyes. The consistency of this mascara is quite wet but not unbearable to use. The brush is reasonably thin and tapers inwards towards the end. I found it lengthened my lashes and made them a lot thicker, it also worked really well on my bottom lashes. The only problem I have with this mascara is how easily it can clump your eyelashes together. If you keep applying in an attempt to get super volume, it clumps together a bit too much and leaves your lashes looking like spiders legs - you can kind of see how it happened to me in the picture below:



This was 2 coats of the mascara applied and as you can see, it really thickened and lengthened my lashes. I love the idea of the flexible brush and to be honest, I don't really think 2 coats is even needed! I love this product and would definitely recommend. This mascara is available from Boots for £8.99 and also comes in a vibrant turquoise and a subtle purple.

Overall Rating: 4/5



the lengthening brush

the volumising brush


Next up is the Rimmel Day 2 Night Mascara. This mascara has two different brushes that slot inside one another within the tube of mascara. One is designed to lengthen your lashes and the other to volumise. Both brushes are straight and thin and only taper in slightly towards the end. The consistency is thin and not very wet. I'm usually a fan of Rimmel mascara's but unfortunately this one is just average in my opinion. I found that the volumising brush didn't really have a massive affect on my lashes like the L'Oreal Manga one did and it definitely didn't live up to what Rimmel are trying to sell. The lengthening brush does work and it gives a fresh natural look to the lashes and as the brush is so fine, it's great for the lower lashes. However, it's not really for me as I prefer thicker and fuller looking lashes instead of just a small difference in the length. I don't mind this product but I definitely won't be re-purchasing it.



2 coats using the lengthening wand. As you can see, it gives a more fresh look as the mascara is a lot more subtle. It definitely works but personally, I wouldn't wear this look very often.


2 coats using the volumising wand. For me, I personally didn't find a massive difference between the lengthening and volumising. I found that the volumising brush did make my lashes longer but no fuller than normal, which is a shame as I had high hopes for this product. You can buy the Rimmel Day 2 Night Mascara for £7.99 from Boots.

Overall Rating: 2.5/5

All in all, I'd recommend the L'Oreal Manga mascara more as it boosted the length and volume of my lashes massively but if you're looking for a subtle "no make up" make up look, then I'd recommend investing in the Rimmel Day 2 Night for the use of the lengthening brush.

Have you tried one of these mascaras? What do you think?

xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for taking the time to comment, I read and reply to them all and I really appreciate your kind words! Feel free to leave your own blog link in your comment and I'll definitely check it out xx